Pages

Tuesday 25 August 2015

A Cute New Kitten


Don't you just love kittens? Not only are they adorable but they're so much fun. I visited my sister recently and I was especially excited because she'd adopted a new kitten. I'd seen a photo or two and heard a lot about her but that still didn't prepare me for the moment I first set eyes on her. It's been a few years since I had a kitten a home, they're all grown up now, but within a heart beat I remembered just how tiny and excitable they are.

Marnie putting on her cute innocent face

The new kitten's name is Marnie and she is full of beans! The instant I set down my bag she came galloping over, bounding up the couple of steps into the room, eager to meet the newcomer. I picked her up and held her close and already she was nipping at my hands, trying to catch my fingers with her paws. Next she jumped onto the seat which she'd already claimed as her bed and I tickled her tummy as she rolled round and around. Now I could remember why I never used to get much writing down when I had kittens at home. Their energy and playfulness is addictive, you just want to stay and play all day.
My sister tells me Marnie is a real mischief maker and likes getting into everything, I certainly remember that being the case with my own kittens as well, so she smiled when half a hour later Marnie fell fast asleep, worn out by playtime. I stroked a finger across her head as she began to dream and smiled as her toes twitched, wondering what games she was playing behind her closed eyes. I began to wish over my stay, that I could adopt a new kitten like Marnie, and her little antics would me smile everyday, but then, thinking sensibly, I knew I already had enough on my plate. I have a family of fur-legged friends at home already and although they may not be quite so tiny and energetic as they once were, I wouldn't change them for the world.

Catherine Walker is the author of The True Story of a Not So Crazy Cat Lady, available in paperback and eBook.

1 comment: